Saturday, June 14, 2008

Flooding!



I found these pictures on the KCRG website. I knew the area around my classroom was flooding but I was dying to know more about how much water to expect. My classroom is located on Stevens Drive, all of the buildings shown here are across the street from my classroom.
I feel so stupid. Steve and I made the trip over when we learned that the classroom was in a mandatory evacuation area. I hopped over the sandbag wall surrounding the building so I could retrieve some of my books and materials that I have collected over the years. When I got inside I breathed a sigh of relief because district employees had already been there and elevated everything off of the floor. I fed the fish who were placed safely on top of a stand on top of a table. These are the same goldfish who miraculously survived last summer when all of us thought someone else was feeding them. I left the building and locked the door behind me. "Everything is up, we don't have to worry about it," I told Steve. Wrong! These photos say it all.
I am counting my blessings though. How many people are without homes or have lost businesses. The people in Cedar Rapids are struggling to conserve water and sleeping in shelters. All of this while I watch T.V. and surf the internet in my dry home with water, electricity and a stomach full of home-made fajitas.

No comments: