Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sawyer Hears a Horton...

There is a plush Horton sealed in a plastic container on my deck. It is apparently the only safe place to keep him. Sawyer loves the Horton Hears a Who movie and begs to watch "Horton" at least once daily. His favorite part is at the beginning when Horton turns his ears into a swim cap and dives into the water, making a "splash!" Shortly after that, Sawyer loses interest in the movie and then half-watches the rest while busying himself with other things, like closing my laptop or kissing his baby sister. He is the sweetest thing.

A couple of weeks ago we started to notice that no matter how often we placed Horton back in Sawyer's room he kept appearing in the hallway... Steve asked me if I noticed that Horton kept getting kicked out of Sawyer's room. I thought it seemed weird that he seemed to have become a fixture in the hallway. Sawyer is very inventive about ways to avoid going to bed and I am used to hearing a request shouted from his room like, "Nose wipe, please." or "Can my have water?" Then I heard it. "Horton outside!" He repeated this again and again before I went to his room and pointed out that Horton had been moved to Mommy and Daddy's room. Again, Sawyer demanded that he go outside. When I asked him why he needed to go outside he told me, "My hear Horton." I asked him to get back into bed and assured him I would put Horton outside. Sawyer followed me into the living room and I knew I actually was going to have to put Horton outside because I was being watched! Sawyer stood at my side as I found a fitting container for Horton and placed him on the deck. Finally Sawyer was convinced that it was safe to return to bed. I can't wait to see how this scenario unfolds. Hearing voices... cause for concern? I am not worried yet.

No comments: